Friday, August 24, 2012

Hello there blog reader

Welcome to my latest blog venture. I decided to launch this blog for several reasons, but the main reason is to encourage others who are diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

I have been diagnosed and on medication for seven years and I haven’t had a major relapse since my diagnosis and hospitalization. In fact, most people would never imagine that I was once institutionalized. That is unless they knew me during that brief period of psychosis, but I’ll save that story for another blog post.

My point is I am a healthy, happy, successful 29-year-old. And as I get ready to enter my 30s, I want to inspire anyone struggling with this beast we call bipolar because I know first hand that there is hope. And I also understand how much the process of finding the magic medical cocktail that works for you sucks. Even after find the magic doses part of you knows (or if you don’t you will soon find out) that those doses might not always work like magic. Living with bipolar is journey with no destination. You just keep moving with ebbs and flows of your moods. Dealing with depression when it hits and riding the waves of hypo-mania, praying the fun won’t spin out of control and turn into full blown mania.

When you have bipolar you live your life around these highs and lows. But the important thing I’ve learned to remember over the years is that you do indeed get to live your life. There was a time in the darkness of my depression where I thought I wouldn’t make it, that even if I lived it wouldn’t be my life. It would be a hallowed out shadow of what I use to be pre-depression.

Today, I see that there is life after depression. There is dignity after mania. And if you are lucky enough you will have a few close friends who stand by you through it all.

Thanks for letting me share my journey with you.

2 comments:

  1. Arley, thank you for giving us a glimpse into what the bi polar struggle is really like, helping the rest of us have some understand.

    I applaud you and your courage.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I really hope this blog provides encouragement to others!

      Delete