Thursday, June 13, 2013

Power of a Powerless Prayer

I’m a planner.

I’m the kind of person who has a one-year plan, a five-year plan, a 10-year plan and a slew of contingency plans in case anything unexpected that may “disrupt” my plans occurs.

But as the saying goes, “if you want to make God laugh, tell her your plans.”

Sometimes life throws curve balls for which even the best of us can’t prepare. When you suffer from mental illness or addiction this happens more often then not.

In those times when life seems to hit me with a sucker punch, I find myself crying out to God in the most primitive sense. I don’t seek God to take away my pain, or fix the injustices of my life. That would be great, but when I pray to the unseen God in which I believe what I really want is to know that I am not alone.

What I really want, is to know that there is source of energy out there that is bigger than myself, bigger than my circumstances, and yet capable of entering into my pain, capable of being present during my suffering. What I seek through prayer is not a solution, but solace in knowing that I am not alone.

In times of turbulence and stress I often calm myself through prayer. When I do it’s as though I can hear God’s still small voice saying, “this too shall pass,” and reminding me that I am never alone.

And that is when I see the power of my powerless prayers. 

1 comment:

  1. Your words very much match my own experience of who God is for me. Thank you, Arley

    ReplyDelete