Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Live your best life now in three steps

No matter where you are on life's journey you can live your best life at any given moment. Learn how in three easy steps.
About fifteen months ago I slipped into a catatonic-like depression. Sure, I could move, but barely. I had recently given birth to my daughter and the Zoloft my doctor had prescribed hadn’t kicked in. I have bipolar disorder so we knew the chances of postpartum depression would be high.                 
With my baby less than two weeks old I found myself unable to get out bed. I was able to press through with the help of some sayings I learned in Al-Anon. These mantras helped me be my best self and I’m convinced that they can work for you too.
Do the next best thing. 
Life can be overwhelming, especially when you have a mental illness. It’s hard to project into the future, but you can always do the next best thing in the present. When I felt crippled by depression, early in my post-partum experience, at one point the next best thing for me was simply setting up and holding my baby. So, I sat up. I held my baby. My depression didn’t automatically go away, but that step led me closer to the light. That step enabled me to live my best life at the moment.
Stop Worrying. 

Worry takes us out of the here and now and holds us hostage in past regrets or future concerns. Don’t get trapped in worry. Acknowledge the concern, address the aspects that are in your control, and let go of the rest. I recently learned to let go of my need to control and “fix” problems that I never had control of to begin with. As a result I no longer experience the anxiety and panic attacks that used to plague my days.
Pause for poise. 

Whatever you are doing, pause. Take a deep breath. Think of something that makes you smile. Take time to focus on the things that make you smile. This exercise will help you relax, focus and remember why you want to be your best self in the first place.

I still have days that are difficult. Depression and anxiety will always be part of my life. But day by day, I’m doing my best. Some days aren’t as great as others, but I chose not to worry about that. There’s no time to worry about yesterday when you are living your best life now.



No comments:

Post a Comment